Thursday, April 23, 2009

Operation 60th Birthday Surprise

My Dad turned 60 this year, so my Mom wanted to do something special for him. So she flew the Colorado crew (Colemans & Peech Family) to Texas and the Tharps met us in Houston. This was all a surprise, so my Dad had no idea that we were coming in. My Grandma and my Uncle Dave also came in from Chicago for the surprise. Before this though, everytime I talked to my Dad, he would ask, "So, are you coming in for my birthday?" And I would say, "No Dad. We're broke. We can't fly right now." Now my Dad is a pretty sneaky guy so I don't know if he was just trying to find out if anyone was doing anything for is birthday or if he really was just asking if we could swing flying in for the big day. Anyway, he was fishing and I was giving up the secret. So we all headed down there the day after his birthday. We met the Tharps at a nearby restaurnt and then followed each other to my parents house. We pulled up in the driveway and my Dad met all of us in his robe. And the tears began to flow. Needless to say, we pulled off the surprise and my Dad was thrilled to see all of his family!

The weekend was great. We spent most of our time by the pool. My Dad's company had a big barbeque cookoff and so we spent Friday night there at the Galveston County Fair. It was a blast! I think Kerri, Dana and I took advantage of having the Grandma's take care of all the kids. It was great to be able to hang out with my sisters and dance all night. The kids had a great time too riding all the carnival rides. The next day, we took one big family portrait. This was the first time that all of us had been together in a while, so we took advantage of that moment. Everyone except us left the next day. Our crew went to NASA the next day and took a tour. I hadn't been there since my elementary field trip so it was cool to see it as an adult. I definitely appreciated it much more this time around.

Once again, it was a fabulous weekend at the Drenth compound. And once again, I came back to Colorado missing Texas. I was in a funk for a couple of days, but now I'm getting back into the swing of things here. There's just nothing like spending time with your family in the place that you love!

Anyway, Happy Birthday Dad! Hope you were truly surprised and had a great time! We sure do miss you!


Cole helps Gramps blow out his candles



Sisters....awwwwwww

Katelyn, Hadley and Cole playin' in the hot tub


Noah hangin' out with Momma


Sara and David take the jet ski out for a spin


Anna doing what she does best.....lookin' cute


Great Grandma and Noah. I love his goofy grin in this picture!


Uncle Dave with his Great Nephew and Nieces

Grammy and Noah

1 comment:

The Johnstons said...

What a fun family weekend!! Happy (belated) 60th birthday, Bob!!