Friday, February 1, 2008

I love George!

And yes, my husband is aware of my love for this man. He is a man that few respect and love. Many have ditched him because he is not the "popular" guy anymore. My love however, has never waned. I respect him for the position he holds. I admire him for how he puts his faith into practice. By all means, he is not perfect. However, he never claims to be something he's not. He comes from a family deeply rooted in values and faith. He is none other than our President, George W. Bush.

Those who know me well, know that my love for George has been ongoing for many years now. I've read most of the books written about him and will watch any documentary about him or his family. When I was in college, he would often come to Waco so that he could go to his ranch in Crawford (just about 30 minutes from Waco). It was a goal of mine to meet him before I graduated from Baylor. Unfortunately, that dream never came true. So, when I learned that George was in Denver, I was excited at the thought of even getting just a glimpse of him. More than that, not only was he in Denver, but he was visitng the neighborhood I work in. So, when 5 o'clock came, I left work thinking that my dream might come true. The city barricaded the street just a block away from my office. So, I parked my car and stood on the street to watch the motorcade pass by. I chatted with the police officer there who was there to make sure we didn't pull out any guns. Most of the people there could care less about the President and only wanted to get home. However, I had my camera ready and was determined to catch just one moment with George. I waited about 30 minutes to watch him whiz by in his bulletproof car. It was such an exciting moment to think that the man who leads our country was about to pass by the very street I was standing on. After the 30 minutes, police cars and suburbans began to fly by with all their lights ablaze. I started snapping pictures and waited to see the President. Finally, he arrived in his car, American flags waving which let me know which car was his. You would think that I would be so pumped to see my hero, but all I could think about was how lonely and hard his life might be. Though he is surrounded by hundreds of people on a daily basis, I thought about how his own daughters probably can't just call him up on his cell phone whenever they want. I know that would bother me about my own dad. I thought about how he hears constant criticism from his fellow countrymen on a daily basis. I thought about how the weight of not only America, but the world is on his shoulders. And I thought about the upcoming election. My moment with George lasted only about 5 seconds. Though I didn't meet him, I feel my dream was semi-fufilled. I feel a deep sense of loyalty to him and to the office he holds. What a responsibilty that is?!

As I think about this upcoming year, I think about the changes our country is about to embark on. I myself am not sure who I will vote for. To me, there is no clear man who can live up to my expecations of what or who a president should be. I encourage all of you to become educated on who is running and to think about what really is important. To many, George Bush is a oil and war loving, money hungry man and an alcoholic who cheated his way into the presidency. To those people I say he is a humble, faithful husband and father, Christ loving, hard working, ethical man who stands firm on his beliefs. No, he is not the best communicator in the world, nor is he perfect. But he doesn't make excuses for who he is or what he does. You tell me who in the presidencial race even resembles just a fraction of his character?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenny! I knew we got along for a reason, you share my love for George! I love watching clips of him, when he's not being "The President" he's so charming and quick witted! I read what you said about his daughters and it made me remember this clip of Jenna on Ellen..have you seen it?? Just wonderful!! :) TEAM GEORGE!!

It wouldn't let me post the you tube video, so here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZWjoDZF1EQ